TEXT: John 14:1-6
1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Today, I am continuing the daily Just Jesus Evangelistic Campaign sermon series, which is aimed at sharing the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with unbelievers and reminding Christians, in this important election year, to keep the main thing the main thing — and that is reaching unbelievers with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and praying for their salvation, for the problem in America is not only disobedient presidents, politicians, and people, but disobedient pastors, preachers, and parishioners who have refused to obey the Lord’s Great Commission which is to, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” and who have refused to obey God’s repeated commands to “pray without ceasing” for unbelievers, believers, and political leaders. Yes, you should pray for the right candidate to win; yes, you should vote for the candidate that the Lord gives you peace about voting for. But, don’t get caught up in it like the world does. Nothing much is going to change until people get saved and get their hearts right with the Lord.
This campaign is inspired by the following three verses: 1 Corinthians 2:2 which says, “For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Acts 5:42 which says, “And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.” And 2 Timothy 2:4 which says, “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”
This series is not for Christians necessarily. However, I do hope you are one of those saints who still loves to hear the “Old, old story of Jesus and His love” — As another hymn says, “For those who know it best Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.” This series is primarily for unbelievers, so they can hear and understand the Gospel and be saved from sin and the punishment of sin which is hell. This is message number 219.
Thomas a Kempis said, “Without the way there is no going; without the truth there is no knowing; without the life there is no living. Jesus is the way which thou must follow; the truth in which thou must believe; the life for which thou must hope.”
After Jesus told His disciples the wonderful news that He would be going away to prepare a place for them in Heaven and that He would be returning to take them there, He tells them, “And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.” Where was Jesus going? First, He was going to the cross, and after going to the cross, He would be going to Heaven. How could the disciples get to Heaven where He was? They could get there through Him.
The sum total of verses 2 thru 4 are Jesus saying, ‘I am going to Heaven, I am Heaven, and the way to Heaven is Myself.’ It is the truth, but it is also a paradox. How can a Person be both the destination and the way to the destination?
Perhaps, that is why Thomas (and some of the other disciples) remained confused. Thomas asks, “Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?” On the face of it, it sounds like Thomas has simply not been paying attention to what Jesus has said. But, I think the real issue here is that Thomas and his fellow disciples were still looking at things through a physical lens and not a spiritual lens. Dr. Wiersbe comments, “Thomas’ question revealed his keen desire to be with Jesus, and this meant that he had to know where the Master was going and how he himself would get there.” Thomas was trying to get the street address to Heaven. He wanted a physical location and specific directions.
Here is Jesus’ response: “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” Jesus turns their attention back to the idea of Heaven being a place where they will be with the Father and the Son. Jesus does not provide a map to Heaven. He does not provide a book of truths. He does not offer a formula for abundant life. Rather, He points to Himself as the Way, the Truth, and the Life. In other words, He is saying, ‘If you get in Me, you will get in Heaven.’ Or better yet, if you let Me into you by trusting in Me you will get into Heaven.
Now, the disciples’ heads must have filled with questions: What about the Law? What about the sacrifices? What about the Temple? What about other religious sects, the Pharisees, the Sadducees, other religions? Jesus says, “No man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” Jesus is the exclusive way to God and Heaven. Any correct idea about the way to God, any fragment of truth, any embodiment of spiritual life is caught up in Christ and fulfilled in Him. All other “ways” are false. All other “truths” are lies. All other “life” is death.
Thou art the Way: by thee alone
from sin and death we flee;
and they who would the Father seek
must seek him, Lord, by thee.
Thou art the Truth: thy word alone
true wisdom can impart;
thou only canst inform the mind
and purify the heart.
Thou art the Life: the rending tomb
proclaims thy conquering arm;
and those who put their trust in thee
neither death nor hell shall harm.
Thou art the Way, the Truth, the Life:
grant us that Way to know,
that Truth to keep, that Life to win,
whose joys eternal flow.
Don’t squander your opportunity to secure your place in God’s Heaven through Jesus Christ — the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
If you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior today, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. There is some free material that we want to send you. If you have a prayer request, please e-mail that to us as well, and we will pray for you until you tell us to stop.
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you.