TEXT: John 7:43-49
43 So there was a division among the people because of him.
44 And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.
45 Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.
47 Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived?
48 Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him?
49 But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.
Today, I am continuing the daily Just Jesus Evangelistic Campaign sermon series, which is aimed at sharing the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with unbelievers and reminding Christians, in this important election year, to keep the main thing the main thing — and that is reaching unbelievers with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and praying for their salvation, for the problem in America is not only disobedient presidents, politicians, and people, but disobedient pastors, preachers, and parishioners who have refused to obey the Lord’s Great Commission which is to, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” and who have refused to obey God’s repeated commands to “pray without ceasing” for unbelievers, believers, and political leaders. Yes, you should pray for the right candidate to win; yes, you should vote for the candidate that the Lord gives you peace about voting for. But, don’t get caught up in it like the world does. Nothing much is going to change until people get saved and get their hearts right with the Lord.
This campaign is inspired by the following three verses: 1 Corinthians 2:2 which says, “For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Acts 5:42 which says, “And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.” And 2 Timothy 2:4 which says, “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”
This series is not for Christians necessarily. However, I do hope you are one of those saints who still loves to hear the “Old, old story of Jesus and His love” — As another hymn says, “For those who know it best Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.” This series is primarily for unbelievers, so they can hear and understand the Gospel and be saved from sin and the punishment of sin which is hell. This is message number 93.
John Calvin said, “Since no man is excluded from calling upon God the gate of salvation is open to all. There is nothing else to hinder us from entering, but our own unbelief.”
In our last message, we saw that many of the Jewish common people came to the conclusion that Jesus was either a prophet or the promised Messiah. The Jewish religious leaders had the opposite reaction. Jesus’ crying out in the Temple that He was Living Water and His invitation for people to come to Him made them even more angry and more determined to see Jesus silenced.
Back in verse 32 of this chapter, we read, “and the Pharisees and the chief priests sent officers to take” Jesus. These officers were the Jewish Temple guard, and they do not appear again until verse 45. Verse 44 informs us that the authorities were hesitant to arrest Jesus in public partly because they could sense that the common people had come to approve of Him and would be upset if Jesus was taken. So, John informs us that “no man laid hands on him.” (Of course, this was all working out according to God’s plan as it was not Jesus’ time to be taken and put on trial.)
The Temple guards return to the chief priests and Pharisees empty-handed. The authorities “said unto them, Why have ye not brought him? The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.” The guards who had been sent to arrest Jesus found themselves captivated by His teaching. Jesus spoke like no one they had ever heard. They came to the same conclusion that the common people had come to — that Jesus was no mere man.
Expectedly, this response distressed the Jewish leadership. The Pharisees mocked the guards, asking them, “Are ye also deceived?” They had settled upon the idea that Jesus was some sort of liar or fraud, someone out to lead the people astray. The real reason for this was because they felt threatened. With Jesus on the scene, they could feel their influence slipping. Jesus was showing the people a better way.
With the guards apparently taking Jesus’ side, the religious leaders wonder who else may have turned traitor in their ranks. They ask, “Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him? But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.” The idea here is that it doesn’t matter what the common people believe. The priests and Pharisees had an elitist point-of-view when it came to religious matters. They did not think the common folk were even capable of fully understanding the law. They could be easily deceived, but the religious leaders could not.
The religious leaders were blinded by their own pride and belief that they were better than others. They regarded the commoners as “cursed” because they did not have the education or understanding that the leaders had. But, Jesus taught that the opposite was true. Jesus repeatedly praised those who were simple in heart and faith, those who did not need a religious degree or expert understanding in order to believe. Jesus lifted up little children as the example of a person who has true faith in Him.
Along with their pride, the Jewish religious leaders let their education and knowledge of the Scripture get in the way of true faith. They thought they could gain eternal life by diligent study of the Bible. But Jesus taught and showed that all one needed was a heart and mind that sought the truth and was willing to accept it when confronted with it. You, my friend, have been confronted with the truth. What will you do with it? Will you reject it and ridicule it? Or will you accept it and believe it?
If you have decided to believe in Jesus Christ, here is how you can accept Him into your heart and life today:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
If you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior today, please e-mail me at email@example.com and let us know. There is some free material that we want to send you. If you have a prayer request, please e-mail that to us as well, and we will pray for you until you tell us to stop.
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you.