Jesus Explains Why He Has to Go Back to Heaven, Part 4 (Just Jesus Evangelistic Campaign, Day 264)
TEXT: John 16:7-11:
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Today, I am continuing the daily Just Jesus Evangelistic Campaign sermon series, which is aimed at sharing the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with unbelievers and reminding Christians, in this important election year, to keep the main thing the main thing — and that is reaching unbelievers with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and praying for their salvation, for the problem in America is not only disobedient presidents, politicians, and people, but disobedient pastors, preachers, and parishioners who have refused to obey the Lord’s Great Commission which is to, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” and who have refused to obey God’s repeated commands to “pray without ceasing” for unbelievers, believers, and political leaders. Yes, you should pray for the right candidate to win; yes, you should vote for the candidate that the Lord gives you peace about voting for. But, don’t get caught up in it like the world does. Nothing much is going to change until people get saved and get their hearts right with the Lord.
This campaign is inspired by the following three verses: 1 Corinthians 2:2 which says, “For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Acts 5:42 which says, “And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.” And 2 Timothy 2:4 which says, “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”
This series is not for Christians necessarily. However, I do hope you are one of those saints who still loves to hear the “Old, old story of Jesus and His love” — As another hymn says, “For those who know it best Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.” This series is primarily for unbelievers, so they can hear and understand the Gospel and be saved from sin and the punishment of sin which is hell. This is message number 264.
Marcus Dods said, “The world and its prince will be judged. To adhere to them rather than to Christ is to cling to a doomed cause, a sinking ship.”
We have looked at two of the ways in which the Holy Spirit works in the world. First, it convicts man of sin. Second, it convinces the world of its own unrighteousness and of Jesus’ righteousness. The third way in which the Holy Spirit works in the world has to do with the ruler of the world system. Jesus says the Holy Spirit will reprove, convict, and convince the world “of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”
Satan thought he had won a great victory by putting Jesus on trial before the Jews and the Romans. But, in actuality, it was he himself who was being judged. Satan’s plan to keep control of the world by killing Jesus was put to the test and found wanting because, by Jesus’ death and resurrection, Satan’s rule was broken and he was defeated. Satan was the one who walked away from that fight with his head down and his hands bound.
However, Satan still roams the earth seeking to deceive and enslave mankind. What he doesn’t tell sinful man is that he is already defeated. He is a criminal, his sentence has already been passed, and he is awaiting execution. That is where the Holy Spirit comes in. The Holy Spirit seeks to convince man of Satan’s judgment. He seeks to show sinful men that they are now following a leader who has already lost the war.
At the end of the American Revolutionary War, communication methods were so slow that several battles were fought between the Americans and the British after the British had surrendered in Yorktown. These battles, no matter the outcome, were of no consequence because the British had already been defeated. However, the soldiers in the field didn’t know that yet. They wouldn’t know until a messenger came and told them that the war was over.
In the spiritual realm, the Holy Spirit is that messenger communicating to man that the devil has lost and that God has won. Dr. John Walvoord and Dr. Roy B. Zuck said, “People in rebellion should take note of Satan’s defeat and fear the Lord who holds the power to judge. As the fact of coming judgment is proclaimed, the Spirit convicts people and prepares them for salvation.”
Christians today can go forward in the power of the Holy Spirit, knowing that we are led by the victorious Christ, with a mission to get others to join the winning side.
One day, we all can sing along to the hymn by W. Chatterton Dix:
Hallelujah! Sing to Jesus!
His the scepter, his the throne;
Hallelujah! His the triumph,
his the victory alone.
Hark! The songs of peaceful Zion
thunder like a mighty flood.
Jesus, out of every nation,
has redeemed us by his blood.
You can join the winning side today by accepting the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ and the entrance of the Holy Spirit into your life right now, here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
If you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior today, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. There is some free material that we want to send you. If you have a prayer request, please e-mail that to us as well, and we will pray for you until you tell us to stop.
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you.