How Andra Day Began to ‘Rise Up’ Through Jesus Christ (Gospel Light Minute #219)
She is a singer and songwriter signed to Warner Bros. “Cheers to the Fall”, her debut album released in 2015 was met with critical acclaim, and peaked at #48 on the Billboard 200 chart. At the 2016 Grammy Awards, her album was nominated for Best R&B Album and the album’s primary single “Rise Up” was nominated for Best R&B Performance.
In an extensive interview with Relevant Magazine, she describes how a low point in her life led her to faith in Jesus Christ.
She said, “My mother converted to Christianity when we were very young. When I got into my teen years and into my younger adulthood it was, ‘Yeah, yeah, I believe.’ But I was smoking weed, drinking heavily, into promiscuity—cheating on whoever I was with—just doing things selfishly, and doing music for my own sort of vain persona. I ended up moving out to New York … but my conscience just started to catch up with me. I told [God] everything I had done, I told my family everything I had done. Dealing with the guilt and the shame, you know, it was a very low point in my life. I didn’t have a job, completely broke, sleeping on my mom’s couch in her tiny little apartment. And any deal I had at the time basically fell through. It was a low point, but it was the greatest point in my life.”
She continued, “I rededicated my life to Christ. I was like, ‘I’m not playing games anymore, I’m not lukewarm, I’m not doing that anymore.’ I regret hurting someone, but I’m grateful for who I have become and how close I’ve been able to grow in Christ, because of all of that. I always say ‘those years were formative years. When I came back to San Diego, I literally told God, “God if you want me to do this, I’ll do this. If you want me to teach, I’ll be a teacher. If you want me to panhandle on the corner for you, I’ll do that.
“From there, that’s when the door with Stevie Wonder opened. When things that weren’t supposed to be there came through. Eventually, he introduced me to the producer I did the record with, Adrian Gurvitz.
And so from that moment we met and I got into the studio, I told myself, ‘Tell the truth, talk about everything. Talk about the heartbreak you inflicted, talk about the heartbreak you experienced. What you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, how you continue to try and grow.'”
When asked about her very personal album, she said, “It is Christ who empowered me to be able to say those things. You’re not trying to prove yourself anymore. All you are doing is being obedient, and that really lifts the burden and the worry of people’s opinions.”
When asked about the inspiration for her hit song “Rise Up” she replied, “You know, I pray about everything, and this song was no different. So it was kind of like, ‘God what do you want to talk about today?'”
And when asked how she connects with her audiences on stage, she said, “My band and I pray every time before we go on stage, that “His will is done.” Really, my desire is to communicate how powerful and how life-changing the love of Christ is. Without knowing Christ, you don’t know your potential—how big you really are, how powerful you really are. And I talk about being vulnerable, because you can’t be at His feet without being vulnerable.”
Her name is Andra Day.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, reminding you of what the Bible says, that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” like you and me. Just as Andra Day gave her life to Christ, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!