TEXT: John 7:37-39
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Today, I am continuing the daily Just Jesus Evangelistic Campaign sermon series, which is aimed at sharing the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ with unbelievers and reminding Christians, in this important election year, to keep the main thing the main thing — and that is reaching unbelievers with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and praying for their salvation, for the problem in America is not only disobedient presidents, politicians, and people, but disobedient pastors, preachers, and parishioners who have refused to obey the Lord’s Great Commission which is to, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” and who have refused to obey God’s repeated commands to “pray without ceasing” for unbelievers, believers, and political leaders. Yes, you should pray for the right candidate to win; yes, you should vote for the candidate that the Lord gives you peace about voting for. But, don’t get caught up in it like the world does. Nothing much is going to change until people get saved and get their hearts right with the Lord.
This campaign is inspired by the following three verses: 1 Corinthians 2:2 which says, “For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.” Acts 5:42 which says, “And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.” And 2 Timothy 2:4 which says, “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”
This series is not for Christians necessarily. However, I do hope you are one of those saints who still loves to hear the “Old, old story of Jesus and His love” — As another hymn says, “For those who know it best Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.” This series is primarily for unbelievers, so they can hear and understand the Gospel and be saved from sin and the punishment of sin which is hell. This is message number 90.
Wayne Mack said, “Becoming mature Christians will require the sovereign work of God. Only God can save and sanctify. Still, God uses men and means. Salvation is not the end of the journey. It is only the beginning. The destination toward which we are headed is nothing less than maturity in Christ.”
Many people first come to Jesus for what they can get from Him. They want healing, they want deliverance, they want eternal life — and they do get all of those things. However, Jesus is not just interested in giving you everything without you turning around and helping others. As the Bible says, “To whom much is given, much is required.” That is part of the reason why Jesus chose disciples — so He could train them to help others receive the Living Water.
After urging the Jews at the Feast of Tabernacles to come to Him and believe on Him for their own sakes, He says, “He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” In other words, the way this thing is supposed to work is once you get the Living Water, you ought to turn around and start giving that Living Water to others. Of course, you will not be the source of the Living Water, but you will be a channel through which the Living Water flows.
The Gospel writer, John, adds an explanation about this Living Water flowing from those who have believed in Jesus Christ. He says, “This [Jesus] spake of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.”
John, writing in retrospect, tells us that this living water flowing out of those who believe in Jesus is the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus’ glorification took place when He was crucified, buried, resurrected, and later ascended into Heaven. After His Ascension, the Holy Spirit (the third Person of the Trinity) came down and took up residence in the hearts of all those who believed in Jesus. The day this happened was called Pentecost. From that day forward, Jesus’ followers preached the Gospel boldly and influenced thousands of others to believe in Him as well. That was the beginning of the Church of Jesus Christ.
E.A. Blum said, “The Spirit within a believer satisfies his need of God, and provides him with regeneration, guidance, and empowerment.” Believers today are filled with the same Holy Spirit that filled Peter, Paul, John, and others. You should not worry about being a “great Christian” or even a “good Christian.” Don’t let that hold you back from drinking of the Living Water. Once you believe in Jesus, you will immediately be filled with His Holy Spirit. You will not be alone as you strive to live the Christian life. God’s Spirit will be working in you and through you so that you can be a conduit of blessing — a channel of Living Water — for those around you.
But, first, you must come and drink of the Living Water yourself. If you are ready to believe on Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
If you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior today, please e-mail me at email@example.com and let us know. There is some free material that we want to send you. If you have a prayer request, please e-mail that to us as well, and we will pray for you until you tell us to stop.
God loves you. We love you. And may God bless you.